Sunday, December 16, 2007

My new, old friend!

I'm kind of bummed because my Palmer/Pletsch interfacing didn't come yet in the mail, but I've had other things to work on, namely the Christmas pillowcase gifts for my daughter's friends. They are almost finished, but in the process (there were 8, I think), I decided to get out my serger for speedy pillowcase sewing. Luck is never on my side when I try to tie a new thread to the old thread, so all my threads were removed, the color spools put in place, serger rethreaded, the left needle put back in, rolled hem foot taken off and the regular foot snapped back on and...Voila! A test drive with a perfect, beautiful serged stitch. Mmmmm! Here I am with a bad cold and dusted-off serger today but don't look too hard at my messy kitchen table!

Just the other day I was petting a nice Babylock Evolve at my local sewing dealer. Went home dreaming of it saying, "I wish..." But then sometimes we learn to appreciate what we have again. That's not a bad thing with the Evolve price tag either. Last time I had my Pfaff serger in for servicing, the technician said with a machine that old (1992), he usually recommends getting a new one except that he thinks very highly of my machine. He said it produces absolutely beautiful serged stitching and he's right. It does *most* of the time. No, it doesn't have jet air threading, nor a chain stitch, nor a cover stitch. But it does give an absolutely beautiful rolled hem and a beautiful flatlock. However, I really would like a cover stitch too. Now, what if I got a coverstitch machine? Can you imagine the looks I would get? Why do you need 4 machines??? Ah...no use in explaining. The non-sewer simply doesn't understand. And don't try to explain it because they have no interest and just won't get it. But anyway...

...the pillowcases were a breeze to sew! I remembered why I love my serger :) . We had the opportunity to get reacquainted today after a long time apart and it was so nice. Here are the pillowcases I serged today and the names were embroidered last night. DD#2 is quite pleased with them and can't wait to wrap them up. Hers and DD#1's are in the completed pillowcase pile.




DD#2 is quite perplexed though. After all my raving about the beautiful serger stitching on the pillowcases, she couldn't understand why the machine doesn't backstitch. She does know how to use the regular sewing machine so I think she is kind of befuddled why a serger is such a wonderful thing to have. She wanted to wrap them up right away, but I told her I had to bury the thread chains. There were three on each one so it took about about 20 minutes to get them all done. I guess for all my raving, she can't understand why I could call a machine that doesn't backstitch wonderful.

4 comments:

kasizzle said...

The pillowcases look great. What a wonderful gift idea!

Anonymous said...

I love these pillowcases!! I wish I had been that creative when my kids were little.

Cennetta said...

Those are great looking pillowcases.

Karen said...

Love the pillowcases, and congrats on getting reacquainted with that old friend.