Monday, August 11, 2008

Almost Done and Starting Another

The top below is almost done. This is the one where I widened the neckline. Originally I planned on making it a solid color, but I ran out of fabric so I couldn't cut two front/back neckline pieces. What was I thinking when I ordered this knit from EOS (over a year ago)? It is the rayon knit, I think, the one that is "Linda's Favorite". For some reason I only ordered about 1 1/4 yards, and my original intention was to make the Christine Jonson princess-seamed wrap top. Must not have been paying attention that day! Then I thought the black stretch moleskin in my stash would look nice and used that, allowing a bit of blue to be seen along the top edge. Not really piping, of course, but more of an accent of the blue.


As I was cutting out this top, I realized that this fabric might not have been the best choice for the pattern. It is a bit thicker than the lovely Metro Textile print I used for the same pattern two weeks ago and doesn't drape as nicely. On the other hand, it's more of a beefy knit and feels like a quality top, not the kind one would find from a mass merchandiser. Overall, I'm still pleased. I think the color will work well in my summer wardrobe.


Here's a closeup of the neckline. I still have to remove a bit of gathering stitches, and I started embellishing with size 16 black swarovski crystals from Sue's Sparklers . Of course, there were only about 15 left in my pack so they got used up and more are on order. Until they arrive in the mail, the top will stay on my dressform. The crystals will be randomly placed on the front and back of the neckband.





That's it for now. Tomorrow I hope to cut out all the pieces for my patternless top from a recent issue of Threads.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Very cute! That is a great color for you too.

Anonymous said...

Oooh! That'll be so pretty with the sparkles!

I have to tell you--I got some great fabrics from Kashi and Paron's last week. When I got home, my DD went up into my sewing area into the attic. She came down, and told me in a shocked voice that she'd found a bag with fabric from Kashi's that I'd bought my last time there and I HADN'T EVEN USED IT YET!

Shocking!

Tina W

Cennetta said...

Too cute! You are cranking out like hot cakes.