Monday, August 4, 2008

Cutting day

Today is cutting day. I will kick my boys off the kitchen table to draw somewhere else for about an hour. They seem to instinctively know when I want to do something with my fabric because they make a beeline to the table. However, today I'm sending them downstairs to organize some books and other things. Before breakfast, they will clean up their crayons, markers, and papers they left out last night.

On the cutting table for today:

1. A knit top
2. A summer dress

Summer is quickly winding down so these have to be made up pronto. In September I will work on my Burda coat that I cut out last March (or thereabouts). There should be more time to get these things done. I resigned from my volunteer work last night, and it was a huge weight off my shoulders. Sometimes you just know when it's the right time to leave and it was time. Now I have some extra time to invest in some big projects without constantly being distracted by volunteer issues that kept creeping up all the time. In some ways I will miss my involvement, but I sure won't miss trying to solve the problems. In a way, it's a very liberating feeling.

2 comments:

kasizzle said...

I ususally use hubby's pool table for cutting out my patterns and as soon as I get things layed out, the kids have friends over and they all want to play pool. I'm planning on cutting a few things out today, also.

Karen said...

Congrats on reclaiming some Kat-time! You can always re-volunteer if you need to, but maybe not in a capacity that takes up so much of your time.

Enjoy your cutting day. I do that occasionally - I have tracing days, where I'll take a couple of BWOF and a roll of tracing paper to work, and then I have cutting days. Neither are my favorites, but sometimes you just have to put your head down and do all the prep so that when you have sewing time you don't have to fuss with tracing or cutting. It's nice to have the projects waiting.