Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Credit my account please."

Yesterday, before going out, my husband was listening to me mutter, "I don't know if I should take this jacket back...maybe I should." His comment was, "It's only $24!" I replied, "But every time I wear it, I'm going to be fiddling with that fold." Little things like that will drive me crazy. And yet, the general population wears this stuff all the time. They settle for FAR less-than-perfect with nary a thought. I, too, settle for less than perfect at times but there's a limit. DH looks at me like I'm crazy. It's partly principle of the matter--I make things that fit far better than that!

It got me to thinking what I could do with $24. Buy maybe three or four yards of Thinsulate for two coats. So I returned the jacket. Then as I was exiting the store I saw a wall display of jackets by the same "famous-maker" jacket label. It was likely their spring collection, but what astounded me was that virtually every jacket on the wall display had the same yukky fold that my clearance jacket had. It was like a bad dream, and I elbowed my teenage daughter and said, "Look at that! All those jackets have that same awful fold." Of course, she couldn't care less as something like that wouldn't bother her (gives me the "eye roll"). She doesn't know any better. (She has me to teach her about these things ;) .)

I return home and subsequently checked my post comments to see what the concensus was--take it back or keep it. Tamara and Mary were on the Take-it-back side of things. So I'm glad I did. I was also floored that sewing industry guru Kathleen Fasanella took time to comment about the collar and blogged on her site about my collar issue. I've been following the comments and can't wait to find out the root cause of this problem.

Chaos theory at work now...after reading the comments on her site, my interest was directed back to her tutorials. She has some tutorials I haven't seen before, namely the ones on jacket lining. Which takes me back to my recent coat. The only area that I had a minor problem with was the area in the bottom front where the facing meets the lining. My next jacket/coat is in the works so I will be sure to read this info in detail before cutting out my next project.

So, it was just an interesting day yesterday, and I can't wait to learn what is the cause of the ugly fold on the jacket of this "famous-label" line. Check out Kathleen's blog to find out.

Happy Sewing!

8 comments:

Maryissewfast said...

Good for you Kat! I get the same eye rolls when I point out imperfections in garments, but sheesh, if you expect me to pay a high price for something, it better be quality! And I agree...you can do alot with $24.00if you put your mind to it! Mary :)

angie.a said...

Ooh, I'm interested too! I don't actually have that problem, but it's fascinating to me anyway. Us sewists are such fit nerds. :D

2BSewing: said...

Glad to hear that you took it back and got a refund. That's definitely an imperfection that is noticeable...like front/center. If you kept it, you would have forever been bothered by it. Unless...you had a large decorative brooch to hide it. :)

Alexandra said...

Glad to hear you took it back. I think buying and keeping a garment with such a flaw amounts to rewarding (financially) poor quality/poor workmanship. I have a very hard time shopping for RTW.

Tamara said...

Good for you! You can do so much more with that money. Wow! That was so cool to be on Kathleen's blog!

Maryissewfast said...

I nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger award. http://sewfastembroidery.blogspot.com/ You can choose to honor other blogs or just bask in the glow of my appreciation! Thanks for sharing your sewing journey. Mary

Jackie said...

I've nominated you for the Kreativ Blog Award. That was a cute jacket but I can definitely understand why you didn't keep it. Beside, you can do something else with those $$

Jackie said...

I forgot to say to check my blog for details of what to do next regarding the award.