Saturday, July 18, 2009

I've found it! My Fab Maxi-dress Fabric!!

The perfect knit for the maxi dress I want to make! At first there was a knit that caught my eye at Gorgeous Fabrics, but then I decided on this brown/blue beauty from SpandexWorld:

Maxi-dress-to-be fabric!

I know--it's ITY poly/lycra. Here's the kicker. In the Poconos, we've had one of the coolest, non-humid summers in years with temps in the mid/high '70's, low 80's. The last time we hit the 90's was a brief hot weather spell in May. Very atypical, but I'm not complaining about it.

The brown/blue combo has to have just enough blue so I can pull off this color scheme, and I think it has it. Too much brown, well it's just not my color. Karen is one of the few people I know that can pull off the entire palette of rust, brown, orange, etc. with panache. She really knows her colors, AND they look great on her!

Just wanted to post this because I LOVE this fabric! The print is busy enough, but not too busy. Bold colors, but not too bold, if you KWIM. It has an artsy flair and is different from anything I've seen is RTW. And the beauty of it all? I'm using a Q&E 1-hour pattern. Okay, 2-hours--I've got a few pattern alterations to do first.

The fabric just came in the mail today and I LOVE it! It's not too thick so it won't it be too hot, but is substantial enough with (what I think will be) fantastic drape.

I'll work on the christening outfit for a while today, then do some minor pattern alterations for the maxi dress with a very quick upper body muslin.

5 comments:

Rhoto said...

What PRETTY fabric!! We've had wonderfully cool weather all spring & summer here in Montreal, too!! ;)
Soft hug,
Rhonda

2BSewing: said...

Nice fabric. Perfect for your maxi dress. I need to make one myself before summer is over. I need a nudge. :)

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

It is turning out FABULOUS!!! He's going to look heavenly, great job!!

Keely said...

Very nice fabric! At the moment I'd settle for a cool summer - We're in the middle of the coldest winter in years. :(

Karen said...

Awww, thanks for the compliment. I think you know very well what suits you, too - but that fabric you picked out for your maxi dress would work on either of us. Good thing we don't wear the same size or I'd be hiking up to the Poconos to raid your closet!